Hello everyone, today I’m sharing making a French mirror.
Fall is here! I’m not part of the norm, I love the colder weather, but many don’t look forward to cooler shorter days. Anyway,
If you are new to Cloches and Lavender, welcome and I hope you will enjoy this tutorial on making a French mirror. Incidentally, you may remember me saying when we downsized and built this house I was going to add more French touches.
After a few years of my struggles with MS, which I don’t like to discuss here much anymore. Also having a new biologic things I am improving to a point where I’m back to blogging more often and I feel more creative.
So, our foyer was the spot I knew a French mirror would be beautiful. What I didn’t realize at the time is finding one is going to be a challenge. French mirrors in the style I am dreaming of are expensive.
By the way, having my own handyman on retainer, aka my husband, I knew he would help create a mirror. I took time planning what I am looking for in the overall look.
I also did tackle our Bombay chest makeover first, you can find it in this post I am hoping you take the time to read this post because this was a makeover adding layers of paint and adding details.
After the chest is finished, I realized I made the decision not to add too much gilding which French Trumeau mirrors have. This is the time I did look on Pinterest, antique shop websites and blogs I follow.
After doing my research I did notice these mirrors didn’t necessarily have to have all gilding. In fact, many I did see didn’t, so I began searching for my plan for what I will want.
During the planning phase I have had to remind myself, this is my vision for our home. Therefore, I didn’t have to follow what I think fits the criteria for a French mirror. Also, I began looking waiting patiently for the pieces to fall into place.
FYI, everyone related to me and my hubby are laughing at me saying I was patient waiting, ha, ha.
I have had a large picture in our foyer and did use it for the base of the mirror.
Next, I did find appliques on Esty a year before the project began.
I also have found a thrift/antique store I like so, I went for a ride and to find a mirror to use at a great price.
Next, most searches for the style I want show appliques or hand painted murals are on top. Not wanting more appliques Etsy is where I have found this beautiful Florentine plaque. The image and having blue trim it blends perfectly with the Bombay chest.
Notice in the photo a stencil, I was thinking of using plaster instead of molding at first which quickly changed.
I didn’t want to damage the Florentine plaque I found. John reminded me there was a little wire for him to use a small nail to attach it to the wood.
I chose to have the mirror mounted on the board using a screw so not to damage the mirror. It’s old, heavy and glued to the back board.
Deciding on this addition for the plaque is why I nixed the plaster stencil for trim around the plaque..
Picking the correct trim was important to me when putting this together. I didn’t want the molding to be overstated. I wanted it to be delicate in nature and I believe I achieved the look.
Piece by piece it came together and the building was finished.
It was time for me to take over and I began painting. I used Swedish Grey in a new chalky paint named Jolie. The colors in the Jolie line are pretty soft French colors.
I waxed the paint with clear and dark wax. On the thinner molding around the Florentine plaque I went a tad heavier in dark wax then added gilding wax here and there.
I’m very happy with the end result.
Thank you for stopping by. More fall touches will be updated in our home now that fall is officially here. Bringing on the pumpkins, mums and flowering kale. Happy Fall!