Upcycled Frames

Hello friends,  I hope all is well!

When out on our travels John and I spotted these frames. I wanted to update a spot in our dining room and thought they would work great with help.

I knew I wanted something architectural and we found a piece at the thrift store that I have been working on for a bit for a huge deal!

When you see everything finished you will see why the pieces we found are a perfect addition.

I’m not sure if someone attempted a faux finish or they were in their homes like this but I didn’t like it all.


What I have said numerous times, paint and elbow grease will make pieces sing.

I made sure to clean these  very well using white vinegar Windex.  Next, I used my ASCP in Old White and went to work.

I didn’t want to completely cover all the imperfections of these pieces.   I knew that in spots it would add character and character was the look I wanted to achieve. 

Since I wanted to use the flaws to my advantage I decided to use a dry brush technique.   I spoke briefly about this on a door project in the dining room HERE

For dry brushing the key factor is to use very little paint.  I make sure the paint is worked into the brush as well.  Notice on the picture below how little paint is on the tips of the brush.


I only use inexpensive chip brushes for this technique.   You may wonder why?  Bottom line,  your brush takes a beating with dry brushing.


After getting the amount of coverage I wanted I made sure I let the paint cure for a while.   Some may think it’s a waste of time, I don’t.   I don’t because I want to add clear and light brown wax to the paint. 


For me, I  have found the paint to move if I skip this step.  I also dry brush in stages, I  feel it adds more texture if I layer the paint.

Once cured for a few hours I add a coat of clear wax and burnish it into my paint and let it cure again. 


Once cured, I used my Maison Blanche light brown wax and strategically put in spots where I deliberately left some of the of the imperfections.   Remember,  I want character, so I burnished the light brown wax in these places to give them added dimension. 


When doing this I used a small stencil brush to give me more control.   I used a lint free rag with my finger to make sure it was burnished into the paint very well.  To some this may seem tedious but I  feel taking the time to  do this is worth it to get the look I truly want.


After getting the look I was wanting I allowed them to cure for 24 hours.


Notice above and below side by side one is finished and the other needs dark wax.


Next time, I will share the piece we bought thrifting for $35 .  This piece needed lots of love and we got two pieces out of one.  One piece will be used to finish these frames off .


Please stay tuned!


Posted by

Hello, my name is Cindy and welcome to Cloches & Lavender. I enjoy making our house a home with antiques and thrifted finds. Antiques are used as my staples in my dcor to remain on a budget. I will often upcycle pieces with paint to make them new again. I enjoy DIYs

21 thoughts on “Upcycled Frames

  1. OMG these are right up my alley! Love what you have done so far. Looking great.
    Happy Monday.

  2. Can’t wait to see it all finished. You are so much more patient than I am. xo Laura

  3. Oh my goodness, Cindy, those frames are gorgeous! I can’t wait to see what you do with them! Great job on the tutorial too! Painting techniques take a bit of extra time but they are so worth the wait! You did an amazing job!!

  4. Cindy I absolutely love how your frames turned out! They look beautiful and remind me of something you would find In an European chapel!❤️❤️❤️


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.