Fall is here!  I’m not part of the norm, I love the colder weather, but many don’t look forward to cooler shorter days.   Anyway,

If you are new to Cloches and Lavender; welcome.  If not, you may remember me saying when we downsized and built this house I was going to add more French touches.

After a few years of my struggles with MS, which I don’t like to discuss here much anymore and having a new biologic, things have improved with my health to a point where I’m back to blogging more often and I feel more creative.

Our foyer was the spot I knew a French mirror would be beautiful.  What I didn’t realize at the time was finding one would be a challenge.  French mirrors in the style I was dreaming of are very expensive.

Being fortunate to have my own handyman on retainer, aka my husband, I figured he could help me create a mirror.  I took my time planning what I wanted to achieve with the overall look.

I decided to tackle our Bombay chest makeover first, you can find this HERE  I hope you will take the time to look because this was a big makeover using many layers of paint and adding details.

Once the chest was finished, I realized I didn’t want a lot of the gilding which French Trumeau mirrors are often seen.  This is the time I looked on Pinterest, antique shop websites and blogs I follow.

il_794xN.897372461_nir4

Source

One of many sources on my Pinterest board Making Things.

I saw on these resources these mirrors don’t necessarily have to have all gilding.  In fact, many I saw that were antique didn’t, so I began really searching for my plan for what Cindy would want.

During the planning phase I had to remind myself, this is my vision for our home.  I didn’t have to follow what I thought fit the criteria for the finished mirror.  I looked and waited patiently for the pieces to fall into place.

FYI, everyone related to me and my hubby are laughing at me saying I was patient waiting, ha, ha.

We had a large picture in our foyer and I figured we could use it for the base, very strong and sturdy.

Next, I wanted to find appliques so Esty became my search engine.  I found them a year before the project began.

20190915_115840.jpg

I recently mentioned a thrift/antique store I discovered.   We took a ride and found a mirror to use at a great price.

20190915_115733.jpg

Next, I knew I wanted something up top to make a statement.  Most searches for the style I wanted showed appliques or hand painted murals at the top.  I didn’t want more appliques and painting a mural wasn’t going to happen.  This girl can transform furniture and décor pieces, painting a mural wasn’t happening based on the fact I can only draw stick figures, ha, ha.

After searching Etsy and being patient.  Notice, twice I was patient?  I found this beautiful Florentine plaque.  I loved the image and the piece having blue trim I  felt it would blend perfectly with the Bombay chest.

20190915_115808

 Excuse my husband’s foot. 

Having all the pieces to the puzzle my handyman got to building.  We talked about what I wanted the end result to look like.

20190908_125204

Notice in the photo a stencil, I was thinking of using plaster instead of molding at first which quickly changed.

I didn’t want to damage the Florentine plaque I found.  John reminded me there was a little wire for him to use a small nail to attach it to the wood.  

20190915_115638.jpg

20190915_115653

I chose to have the mirror mounted on the board using a screw so not to damage the mirror.  It’s old, heavy and glued to the back board.

Deciding on this addition for the plaque is why I nixed the plaster stencil for trim around the plaque..

Picking the correct trim was important to me when putting this together.  I didn’t want the molding to be overstated.  I wanted it to be delicate in nature and I believe I achieved the look.

20190915_115749.jpg

20190915_115821

Piece by piece it came together and the building was finished.

20190915_164148

It was time for me to take over and I began painting.  I used Swedish Grey in a new chalky paint named Jolie.  The colors in the Jolie line are pretty soft French colors.

20190922_175942.jpg

I waxed the paint with clear and dark wax.  On the thinner molding around the Florentine plaque I went a tad heavier in dark wax then added gilding wax here and there.

20190922_180007.jpg

20190922_180046.jpg

20190922_175953

20190922_175929.jpg

20190922_175942

I’m very happy with the end result. 

Thank you for stopping by.  More fall touches will be updated in our home now that fall is officially here.  Bringing on the pumpkins, mums and flowering kale.  Happy Fall!

Vintage Charm Party

Talk of the Town

Share Your Style

Thursday Favorite Things

Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop

Home And Garden Thursday

Silver Pennies

Inspire Me Tuesday

Make It Pretty Monday

Tuesday Turn About

Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop