This cabinet has been with us for about 20 years and used to be plain pine with light tin inserts in the doors. The door frames and drawer used to be green. Basically, it was a very “country” pie safe. (Although we used it to house our stereo and speakers for years, since the sound came through the tin doors)
When the time came that we didn’t really use the stereo and CD’s anymore, I started thinking about how we could use it in another way.
So, to start, I figured the best idea would be making a paint change and fauxing the cabinet. I knew this would be a pretty big project since the cabinet was rather large, but I knew I could manage it. I just had to plan and make time and figure out what color. While I was doing that, John added moldings to the top and bottom, to give it a little more European flair.
Once I decided to paint it, I realized that the color of the walls in our Great Room would make a great base coat; Manored Gold by Benjamin Moore.
Now one would think I would have taken “before” pictures, but as I have mentioned before I didn’t realize I would one day do a blog and I did this piece a year or so ago. I should have taken pictures of all my projects because I have worked so hard to make these changes and I now know I would have enjoyed seeing the before and after transformations. Anyway, I can’t lose sleep over it, I didn’t do it and it is done.
After the cabinet got a coat if primer and two coats of paint on the outside and inside I had to let it dry for a couple of days because I knew the paint wouldn’t accept the fauxing process well. After the drying process, the creative side took over.
Fauxing is not a chore for me, I find it quite relaxing and rewarding because it is different every time and because it is done by hand. It took me a whole day and evening to finish fauxing this piece. I did the inside as well and I wanted it to be a heavier faux then I have done on previous projects to have more of an aged look.
I was done with the fauxing and had to let that dry and then I put faux protector on the piece to help bring out the fauxing more and to give it protection from chipping.
I then took a step back and noticed the tin was to light for the look was going for so I took my faux glaze and stippled it on the tin and let it dry for a day. I wasn’t sure how this would turn out but I love the way it worked.
Oh! Remember my post on the 3 Home Goods pieces; they found a home on top of my coffee bar and I think they finish it off nicely.
In my next post I’ll talk about the changes to the inside as we converted it to a coffee bar.
I am linking to: