I hope everyone had a nice and relaxing weekend!
I am Linking to:
When we first moved in to our home in the mid-nineties, our laundry room was just an average laundry room; this was before the recent trend to make them stylish and more functional. Front Load machines hadn’t made their comeback yet, so we built a moderate room with a top load washer and dryer and plain Formica cabinets, pretty much the builder standard. (I wish I had known to take before pictures!)
I never love doing laundry and ironing, I am not sure if anyone really does, but in our original laundry room it was so boring and lacked functionality we decided to make changes.
This is where John’s help came into play because he is the builder (well, not really, he’s a CFO; but he’s become pretty handy over the years with the tools).
Once I selected the new front load washer and dryer. I wanted a laundry table to do my folding on instead of the old way of using the tops of the washer and dryer so he built me a custom table to fit right into the existing space. We decided to use cedar planks and joined them with a biscuit joiner with my help; I handled the glue and the biscuits. (Remember I am not allowed to use power tools I am not safe around them, LOL). We then let the glue dry and sanded the table top well making it smooth and stained it using Polyshades stain. We used a left over spindle from the foyer staircase to support the outer edge in between the machines.
Now that I had a new washer and dryer and my new folding area, I knew something had to be done to the plain beige cabinets. We cut plywood panels for the door fronts to give it that raised panel effect. After that process was complete, we added appliques and moldings to the doors to give it a finished look.
This is where I completely took over, I had to prime the cabinets and after that was dry I added a coat of green paint. At this point, I decided to add some raw umber paint to some glaze and fauxed the cabinets with a subtle wash. This toned the green paint down and gave it an aged look.
I then needed a place to dry clothes and hang hangers, etc., but I didn’t just want a simple rack that would’ve been too easy, LOL. John mounted, on the wall opposite the machines, a cedar plank leaving the rough side out, which I stained. Now I needed something clever to use as hooks, so I thought of using glass curtain tie backs from Country Curtains and screwed them into the plank with John’s help, (cedar is hard and I didn’t have the strength to get them in all the way), it worked out beautifully and it can hold up to 4 pairs of pants to dry.
The white boxes open up to hang shirts and sweaters to let air dry. I think they are great and when I am done, I flip-up the racks close the doors and it looks nice and neat. Not that they are closed that often it seems laundry doesn’t ever go away.
The finishing touches were some wall art from home goods and yes, another table leaf! This one I coated with plaster then mashed an applique into it before it dried. I then did my paint and color treatment on it to compliment the walls (Chestertown Buff by Benjamin Moore) the cabinets and the curtain (Country Curtains). I added a small chandelier to complete the look.
I now think I have a warm and elegant laundry room, which makes this chore a bit easier.